Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Lost Boys of Sudan Collage Reflection

www.flickr.com/photos/unhcr/3885934707/
Think Creatively!

Some of the creative elements in my collage were the crumpled American flag, the image at the top of my collage with the Dinka people staring, and the image of the African man screaming. The crumpled American flag represents how the Lost Boys were feeling during their forced migration. Since the American culture wasn't working out for them, they didn't care for it very much. The image at the top of my collage creates emotion. It shows Dinka people staring at you. It looks almost as if they are asking you to help them. The image of the African man screaming also creates emotion. It is a startling image, and one of the first that you see when looking at the collage. It shows the pain that the Lost Boys were feeling. These were some of the creative elements presented in my collage.


Reason Critically!

The images and text that I used in my collage show my understanding of the situation of the Lost Boys. I used meaningful words to demonstrate this. The words hurt, dead, and change are examples of words that show the situation of the Lost Boys of Sudan. They experienced deaths and injuries during their long walk from Sudan to Ethiopia and when they were shot at by the Ethiopian army. Change represents how different the United States was compared to Africa. It was hard for the boys to adapt to this brand new culture. The words that I used on my collage showed what the Lost Boys had experienced.


Communicate Effectively!

My collage creates awareness about the Lost Boys of Sudan through the images and pop-outs. The images create awareness because they show how the Lost Boys are and were feeling. The picture displayed at the top of the collage shows some Dinka people staring at you. This creates awareness because the people in the picture are practically asking you for help. This will help people understand the situation in Sudan currently. The pop-outs that I used to display my six-word memoir on my collage also show awareness. With the words popping out at you, it was also like asking "What next?" and saying that there was a lot of change. This helped create awareness for viewers by getting them more involved. These are ways that my collage created awareness for others.


Live Ethically!

My collage created empathy for the Lost Boys because of the staring image (at the top of the collage), screaming images (left hand side of the collage), and the words hurt and dead. The staring image at the top of my collage where the people appear to be asking a question to the viewer, creates empathy for them because of all the Sudanese have been through. The screaming picture also created empathy because this is how most of the Sudanese reacted during the destruction of their home. The words hurt and dead also demonstrate how the Sudanese were feeling, creating empathy for them. So many of their relatives were hurt and dead during the destruction of their home. These pieces of my collage created empathy for the Lost Boys of Sudan and everything they have been through.

No comments:

Post a Comment