Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Caring Nature

Child with a Dove- Pablo Picasso (1901)

Listen to Your Heart


“Melchizedek watched a small ship that was plowing its way out of the port. He would never again see the boy, just as he had never seen Abraham again after having charged him his one- tenth fee.” (Coelho 31) Santiago, a well-educated shepherd boy, is the main character in “The Alchemist.” King Melchizedek encourages Santiago to go find his treasure, which is his destiny. He embarks on his journey to achieve his destiny and leaves his home in Andalusia, Spain. As he travels through Morocco and Egypt, he meets with several people who make a difference in his choices and life. Santiago changes during his journey as he finds love, friendship, and enlightenment. Santiago’s faith, dedication, and directness help him to achieve his destiny in the story.
Santiago’s faith helps him advance on his journey to achieve his destiny. Santiago is faithful to his heart throughout his journey. “The boy and his heart had become friends, and neither was capable now of betraying the other.” (Coelho 128) This passage from the book shows that Santiago is faithful to his heart and he would never betray it. He listens to it throughout the journey and it guides him along the way. Santiago is still faithful to his own god that he believes in. Even though he has voyaged through Muslim countries, Santiago has continued to respect his Christian beliefs and worship God. Santiago is also faithful to the alchemist. He follows him and listens to him throughout the journey and they never betray each other. Santiago is faithful, and his faith helps him move towards his goal; however, faith is not the only characteristic that helps Santiago.

Santiago’s dedication is important and helpful on his quest to pursue his destiny. Santiago is ready to finish his journey and will not give up yet. He leaves the comforts of his home country and goes to new places to find his treasure. “If he wanted to, he could now return to the oasis, go back to Fatima and live his life as a simple shepherd.” (Coelho 152) As explained in the quote, Santiago could simply return to the oasis, but he decides to keep going and to finish what he has started. Santiago continues on his voyage and listens to his heart. His heart helps guide him along the way. Fatima’s encouragement helps Santiago because at one point he considers staying with Fatima at the oasis; but she urges him to keep going. Because Santiago is dedicated, it makes finding his treasure easier; yet, there is a last character trait that guides Santiago to the treasure, his directness.

If Santiago were not direct, he would not be able to pursue his true destiny. Santiago is a very straightforward, direct person. He immediately decides that he wants to become a shepherd because he wants to travel. His father wants him to become a priest, but Santiago yearns to discover new places. “’Amongst us, the only ones who travel are the shepherds.’ ‘Well, then I’ll be a shepherd!’” (Coelho 9) Santiago is also direct when he tells Fatima that he loves her. He tells her that he doesn’t want to leave, but she still encourages him to go find his treasure. A last example of Santiago’s directness is when he decides to go back to Fatima after finding the treasure. He doesn’t stop to think about it, but leaves immediately because Andalusia no longer feels like home. Santiago’s directness is a key trait that helps him throughout his adventure.

Santiago’s faith, dedication, and directness help transform him into a more mature young man. These traits serve Santiago as he pursues his destiny in the story. Throughout his journey, Santiago keeps persevering. Perseverance is an important part of pursuing one’s destiny. You will be rewarded in the end if you keep trying and listen to your heart.


I am caring and this will help me pursue my destiny. I do not know what my destiny is yet, but I am caring of others, so maybe I will have a profession where I will help other people. I could be a doctor, or travel to under developed countries and help with their lives, for example. I think that my destiny is to help make the world better. I am not so much interested in just making money for myself, but for helping others to live better lives. If I am caring with people who can help me, I can achieve my true destiny. For example, if I am polite and caring with someone, they may want to help me more than if I was rude. In school, I help my peers with their work to help them succeed. My caring nature will help me be a participant in my destiny.





No comments:

Post a Comment